Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Bernard Wheaton - Opera Queensland

Bernard's back to offer some magic



August 05, 2008

FORMER Downlands College student Bernard Wheaton never thought he would pursue a career in opera.

That was until his year 12 teacher gave him some valuable advice.

"My drama teacher John Clarke suggested I try for a music career. When I started at the University of Southern Queensland (USQ), I had my first singing lesson," he said.

Mr Wheaton left Toowoomba about 14 years ago after completing a Bachelor of Arts (Creative) and a Diploma in Music at USQ.

This Saturday, he is back in his home town to perform Mozart's The Magic Flute with Opera Queensland at the Empire Theatre.

"I always like to come back to Toowoomba after going to school there and studying at university," he said.

Mr Wheaton, who sings tenor, made his professional debut in 1994 and since 1995 has performed in a number of productions with Opera Queensland.

Mr Wheaton said he enjoyed the constant challenge of opera.

"I'm challenged every time I look at an opera score. I'm constantly learning. It's never dull," he said.

Mr Wheaton is singing the role of the Speaker's Assistant in The Magic Flute.

No comments: